Friday 30 May 2014

Job Done!

Day 7 (29 May) – Project Complete!

Today is the last day of work at the project site. The windows have been installed and our wall murals are finally complete.


 One of the three wall murals we painted


Our Alphabets Wall Mural

We then headed back to our homestay for lunch before proceeding to visit Wat Thmei, a temple dedicated to victims of the killing fields during Khmer Rouge time. Mr Khorn shared quite a bit on the history of Cambodia and the harsh lives people led under the Khmer Rouge. Enclosed within the glass display were skulls of unidentified victims. The size of some of the skulls was smaller and Mr Khorn explained that a lot of the victims were actually school children.


Mr Khorn explaining about Wat Thmei


After this visit, we moved on to the Cambodian Country Orphanage. The children there were very happy to meet us! They performed a traditional dance for us and in turn, we taught them some camp cheers. We had a great time interacting with the children and could not bear to say goodbye when the time came for us to leave.   


 Jessica with her new found friend

Reflections:

“I learnt that if you want to do something, take your time and do it really well the first time so that it is a good job. The mural painting taught me that if I did a sloppy someone else will have to redo my work. I had to redo my work as I was rushing through the first time and did a bad job” – Majdi, 3A6

“The mural painting took a lot of patience and concentration to get the mural done well. I also realised that there is a lot of different ways of painting. Need a lot of focus to get a good job done, or it won’t follow what the students outlined on the wall” – Michael, 3A2


“After going to the orphanage, I realised that my relatives care very much for me and provided me with more than what I need. I realise that I am actually quite fortunate, so much more than the orphans that we saw yesterday. And they are supportive of me and made it such that I did not have to rely on anyone else for help.” – Jermaine, 3A2

No comments:

Post a Comment